Tuesday 21 June 2011

jB- (Newest pSTUDIO member)

Alright, lets get down and talk about some editing. The latest member of Paradox Studios was kind of weird as he was one of those guys who I literally had never seen an edit from until the app clip. I got a message from him on xfire asking if he was in, and I hadn't even seen his clip yet lol. Anyways this is the app clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDqP_Tll_ow&feature=feedu

It starts off with a slow style, making me think it's going to be some type of orange-core media bullshit which I'm not a big fan of, and he uses text saying "paradox studios" instead of the intro which is odd as he is friends with XO, but looking at it now, it was most likely just that the elegant text fits better with the intro style. The intro smooths are standard, but nice, and the colours set the whole thing off perfectly.
Moving into the frags we have a nice 6k. Wait... 6k? Yeah I think this might be pub footage, however it's with a non-gay weapon and the effects / syncing is literally perfect. Colours yet again, stay great. The halo-esque smooth with the freeze in mid-air between mid doubledoors is great. I've seen very few CF editors use the halo style smooths but it almost always looks great and for some reason I'm just a huge fan of it. Very nice smooth for him to choose for the transition. The next frags are done very nicely as well, I particularly enjoy the audio of the slowed down gun sounds and the lightening colour effects used in combination. The ONLY thing I didn't like about this clip was the transition from 2nd kill to 3rd kill on the last awm clip. It seemed rushed / not overlapped enough. The ending smooth(s) weren't the greatest, but they were good in the sense that they were short, and to the point. Slowed down enough to make it interesting, but not too much to make it boring. Clip gets a 9.5/10 from me.

For more videos from jB check out his channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/iReviewEvreything


Now lets talk about FantasticOne's appclip and why it wasn't accepted. Here's the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA8St61bw4U

The smooths at the start were nicely done, however they didn't go with the song at all. The newblue film grain that he used looks alright, but it was on too much, and it didn't end with the smooths, it went on throughout the entire edit which was way too much. The awm sync was alright, however I didn't like the cuts from the shots. It's alright to do but when its THAT noticeable it becomes a problem. The other thing that really killed it for me was the madly overused overlay. This is pstudios, not EM. We focus on gameplay / editing skill, not overlay abuse. The last thing that killed it for me was elimination in an appclip. I don't care if it was a clan server scrim, it's still elimination. The colours in the whole clip were nice, but the film grain wasn't, and overall it didn't have the flow that it needed. Clip gets a 4/10 from me.


With that being said pSTUDIO's is looking for a few more editors, and might be putting on some edit competitions in the future so watch out for that :)

 - LucK

No comments:

Post a Comment