Sunday 26 June 2011

A Good Place To Start (Fraps)

As many of you know, the first video I ever made/uploaded was... awful.
If you haven't seen it, it's worth a watch just to see how bad it really is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_KmS1PYzko
Now, editing aside (I used WMM so there wasn't too much I could have done better), the quality of the video is simply disastrous. I used 2 different recording programs and they were both complete failures. The first was camtasia studios. This is a program that is good for recording things like windows programs, your desktop, and flash games. However, it is NOT a good recording program for FPS games like CrossFire. I was getting about 8 fps using it (I was playing at about 20, but recording at 8). For this reason I don't recommend it, as your video comes out choppy, and the video quality isn't even good!
The second program I tried was Hypercam (unregistered hypercam2). This program is purely meant for desktop recording and I regret ever trying to use it in conjunction with such a large program/fast moving screen like CF. Needless to say, the fps/quality is not worth it at all... AND there is a watermark on the output files lol.

THE SOLUTION?!?!? Fraps :)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SRNQJW0L

Backupfile:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6c5y48wsox6on5l


Fraps is a screen recording program made specifically for games, and comes with the ability to record full or half screen, choose your desired FPS, and take screenshots. Whether you are looking to get into editing, or just want to record some footage for later use (or even just to see a fps bar in the top of your screen ^.^) then Fraps is a must. Use one of the above links to download, extract, and install (both links are the same).

Closing comments:
The reason I use THIS version of fraps is because it has a feature which only lets my mic be heard if im pressing a certain hotkey (which I macro'd to the same as my vent/mumble PTT key).

Hope you kids enjoi this.

- LucK

1 comment:

  1. Good blog post, hope that helps a lot of people.
    I know I get a lot of messages on x-fire asking for fraps, now I can easily direct them to it.

    ReplyDelete